.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RevSnodgrass

For best results, read postings in chronological order. The first post will be at the bottom of the July 2005"archives", read the one at the bottom first and proceed upward. E mail ronwoodsum@Yahoo.com to be alerted of new posts. Thanks, Rev

Monday, July 18, 2005

Super Shopper

About once every two weeks I make a trip to the Auchan (what they call) Hypermarket. They sell everything from tomatoes to TVs. My main interest is in their selection and price of beer from all over the world. They also sell fake beer, like Bud and Miller Lite.

One of the unique features of Auchan is their method of trying to keep shopping carts from littering their humongous parking lot. The carts are chained together with a gadget that you can release by inserting a two-bit piece into a slot. Upon returning the cart, a male type object inserted into your carts female end releases your very same quarter. Your money is never out of your sight and you get it back when you return your cart to the proper location. Of course if your car is not parked close to the cart return location it can be a pain to truck it back.

Today, as I drove into the lot looking for a prime spot, I spotted a rogue runaway cart loose in the lot. AHA! If I grabbed that one I wouldn’t have to return it to the “proper” location AND I wouldn’t have to dig up a quarter either! Keeping my eye on the cart I zipped into the closest vacant slot. Whoa! Some woman in a raggedy looking pickup had pulled in on the other side of the cart! I could read her mind, she was after MY cart! I leapt into action and had my hand on that cart before she hit the ground.

My lucky day! As I cruised the aisles with an air of superiority, not having to pull a quarter from my pocket, I knew I was the envy of the rest of the low lifes. Having finally settled on a variety of prime brew six-packs, I strolled triumphantly to the check out line.

Pushing my cart in the parking lot, I was able to wave at those I was passing heading in the opposite direction for the return of their carts. I could leave my cart right where I found it, by my car. Reaching for my keys…What the hell? Where are my keys? I grab my door handle and it is locked! I look inside and there are my keys in the ignition. And now ladies and gentlemen, the best part of all, the motor was still running! Quite a savings…quite a savings.

Next week’s sermon is “Haste makes waste”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home