.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RevSnodgrass

For best results, read postings in chronological order. The first post will be at the bottom of the July 2005"archives", read the one at the bottom first and proceed upward. E mail ronwoodsum@Yahoo.com to be alerted of new posts. Thanks, Rev

Monday, February 06, 2006

Relatives

2nd cousin, twice removed

Remember Aunt Jemima? I was surprised she was still around and had not been retired due to issues relating to black stereotypes. By golly, I think I saw Uncle Ben on a box of rice! Anyway, Aunt Jemima’s smiling face graces the cover of an assortment of products at your grocers.After considerable testing at the main fast food joints (McD., BK, etc.) I decided the most tasty breakfast sandwich was the sausage, egg and cheese, usually served on a biscuit. Eventually, this combo in different brand names made it to your grocer’s frozen food section with several choices of bread type: biscuit, bagel, English muffin or croissant. It turns out the croissant is my favorite. Several months ago I saw the Aunt Jemima brand on sale and bought a few packages. When I went to heat one I found that the piece of cheese, which, to sort of cover the sausage and egg, should have been about 2 inches square. Instead, it was about 1 by 2 inches. As you know by now, the Reverend does not take being ripped off lightly so I sent a mildly sarcastic e mail to the address I found on the internet suggesting their quality control had obviously broken down and that I would check after a while to be sure it had been corrected. I got no response.
A few months pass, and I spy a good sale on Auntie’s sandwiches. I was not about to pay full price, just in case they were still flawed. Nothing had changed so I went back to the address on the “net.” I noticed on the page that apparently Aunt Jemima was really Quaker Oats in disguise, itself a division of Pepsico. When e mailing they asked you to select which product you wanted to discuss. I couldn’t find the exact one but I forged ahead with the following:

The product, breakfast sandwiches is not listed. You continue to put a half a piece of cheese on your sandwiches, therefore I only buy them when they're on special sale so that I can add another half a piece of cheese. What is the problem with you people?

The response:

RE: an Aunt Jemima product , REF.# 025611065A

Rev, Whenever a consumer takes the time to get in touch with us, we are always eager to respond as helpfully as possible. Unfortunately, the Aunt Jemima product you mention in your correspondence is not connected with our company. Please contact Pinnacle Foods, the company that manufactures the frozen Aunt Jemima products.

So, not only is Aunt Jemima not Aunt Jemima, but she is not Quaker Oats either but some distant relative whose name sort of lacks that “down home” feeling, Pinnacle Foods – yuck! Where does the buck stop?

Oh well, I guess its back to Sara Lee, I know she’s real- right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home