.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RevSnodgrass

For best results, read postings in chronological order. The first post will be at the bottom of the July 2005"archives", read the one at the bottom first and proceed upward. E mail ronwoodsum@Yahoo.com to be alerted of new posts. Thanks, Rev

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Up and At 'em

As you know, it is not my want to correct others in the error of their ways, but my fondness of the English language, no matter how I myself may torture it, compels me to speak out in the hope that someone, somewhere, may be persuaded to delete extraneous "up"s and "at"s from their speech.
My prime example for "up" is from Rachel Ray, the thirty-minute meal maven on the "Food Network" (TV). Every action she takes is done "up."
She slices up, dices up, cuts up, browns up, heats up, wraps up, etc, ad nauseum, when none of these actions are clarified or enhanced by the word "up." Shut up. Now THAT has meaning.
As for "at", who among you has escaped the quick wit of someone pretending to have a better grasp of the language than you responding to your query "Where are my shoes at?" with "In FRONT of the 'at.'" Keep your ears open; almost always when a sentence ends with "at", it doesn't belong there, like a belch at the end of a good meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home