.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RevSnodgrass

For best results, read postings in chronological order. The first post will be at the bottom of the July 2005"archives", read the one at the bottom first and proceed upward. E mail ronwoodsum@Yahoo.com to be alerted of new posts. Thanks, Rev

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Pie in the Sky

An insane company policy prompted this exchange:

Tastykake Company:

Dear Sirs, Following are a few E Mail exchanges as a result of my attempting to buy your apple pies via the internet. First are my comments to your Web site to whoever gets them. A kind response from Mrs. Ruth Steinke, then my follow-up in return.
Comments: Dear Tasty, moving to Houston meant giving up access to your succulent products in local stores. The internet, I hoped would once again bring me access to heavenly treats. But no, I expect you don't wish to sell to individual consumers, even though I am willing to buy a case at a time. I am sure you, as I do, get a chuckle from ads on TV where the shipping and handling (in small print) usually add another 50-75% to the cost. You have finally broken the barrier where the shipping charges are more than the price of the product. Apple pies, $35, shipping, $37.
One weeps.
Ah, yes, you claim that with less than 2-day air shipping "freshness." will be lost. I am willing to sign an affidavit that I will not return any product for lack of freshness if I can get it shipped to me at a normal rate. Love the product, can't pay the freight.
Hungry in Houston,
Rev. Snodgrass

"Steinke, Ruth M." wrote:
You aren't the first person who has mentioned the high cost of shipping pies. I have forwarded your e-mail to a number of Tastykake people for consideration. Who knows, perhaps your e-mail may lead to a change. I do know that we will be offering a lesser amount of pies sometime in March. I'm sure that selection will be far less than shipping a case. However, for the present, there is no other alternative than to ship the pies 2-day air. Thanks for your comments. (They made me smile.)
Dear Ruth, if I may be so bold, my objective was not to make you smile, but to cry - for those of us far enough west to be out the reaches of the Tastykake selling area. I am an old man who grew up on Tastykakes and Utz potato chips, neither of which are available here in Houston. I get a "care" package each Xmas from my daughter in Maryland with a package of butterscotch krimpets and a bag of Utz chips. Isn't that sad? What eludes me is what Mr (Tasty)Kake has to lose by slower shipping if I take full responsibility for not bad-mouthing the pies if they are not 2-day fresh. I couldn't hurt his business here, since there is none. If all else fails, I suppose I can enlist my kid to rifle the shelves of the local stores for apple pies and send me as many as will fit in the USPS $3.85 special mail bag. I will be 66 years old this Saturday and here I sit watching Gilligan's Island re-runs and about to open my last package of Christmas krimpets. I don't know about you, but I'm about to cry...

Wasting away in Houston
Rev. Snodgrass

While I am sure Mrs. Steinke has sympathy for my plight, I am equally sure there is little she can do about it. Therfore, I put the issues before you:
Are you comfortable with the fact that you have broken the shipping to product cost of over 100%?
Do all the pies you ship to your furthest location get there within 2 days?
Do you pull the pies from the shelves of the “Seven-Elevens” and “Stop and Gos”
if they’re not sold within 2 days?
Are you satisfied that this 2 day shipping requirement is in the best interest of the stockholders and the BOTTOM LINE?
Please don’t make me turn to “Little Debbie” or “Mrs. Baird”

Post script: About a month later I got a package (shipped regular UPS) with five pies and a note of apology saying they were sorry but unmoved to change their policy. So I could get free pies without regard for freshness, but I still couldn’t pay for them and get them. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home