.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RevSnodgrass

For best results, read postings in chronological order. The first post will be at the bottom of the July 2005"archives", read the one at the bottom first and proceed upward. E mail ronwoodsum@Yahoo.com to be alerted of new posts. Thanks, Rev

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Don't Bank on it

Unhappily, I admit I was taken in by a marketing ploy. The ruse was not a lie, but a cleverly worded deal that sounded too good to be true. And as we know, it was too good to be true. I am amused by a good marketing ruse, such as “imported” Japanese and Australian beers made in Canada and taste test battles between “Popeye’s” and “Churches” chicken – both owned by ABC (America’s Best Chicken).

I was investigating “Free Checking” at various banks and one of the advantages of Washington Mutual was a cash-back refund of purchases with their “Debit” card of 3 cents per purchase, not to exceed $250 in one year. It was that $250 a year that steered me from reading more closely what was being offered. I have a “Discover” credit card that gives a one percent cash back reward and I usually get $100 or so back a year. Wow! I thought – I can get back more than that with the new debit card. Then I re-read what I thought was 3% back and it was really 3 cents per purchase, no matter how large. Putting pencil to paper, I figured that to reach the $250 maximum one would have to make over 20 purchases per day 365 days a year. A more nearly normal rate MIGHT be 1 purchase per day 7 days a week which would net you at the end of the year a whopping $10.95. It is better than zero, but I think stating the $250 maximum is marketing at it’s worst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home